Sunday, February 13, 2011

I will crank it up for the World Cup: Akhtar



Pakistan’s superstar fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar said he was confident of rattling up a good pace at this year’s World Cup despite conditions not being ideal for fast bowlers.
“I still bowl 150 kph (93 mph). Obviously when you are 26 and 36, it’s a bit different. I will try to do as well as I can with whatever ability I have. I am going to push my limits and give it all to the team.”
Akhtar, who missed the last World Cup in the wake of a doping ban and fitness problems, also said he was looking forward to a likely duel with India’s Sachin Tendulkar.
“We all know he is a great player. Every bowler gets hit. Even Brett Lee gets hit a long way, so I am now worried about being hit for sixes by Tendulkar. I have got him off the first ball too.
“Not only Sachin, we will try to get other key players early because they can single-handedly win matches. Put them under pressure, and get them out early — that’s what I will like to do.”
India and Pakistan have been placed in different groups for the tournament, beginning in Dhaka on February 19.
The 14 teams have been divided into two groups for the initial round-robin league, with the top four from each half advancing to the quarter-finals.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Grants For Single Moms